It has almost been one week since the conference ended, so I thought I would share a few quick thoughts about the National Worship Leader Conference. Overall, I was very impressed with the conference, but let me give a few more detailed remarks.
- The church that we met at, Church of the Resurrection, was an excellent host. The facilities were awesome, and the staff that kept them maintained and clean after such an event did a fantastic job! I cannot wait to go back next year!
- The organization of the conference was also tops! They moved us along smoothly from one event to the other.
- The sessions that they offered were very diverse. Everything from churches using the web to songwriting to rehearsing your band. All the sessions I attended were very well done!
- The opportunity to be up close to the artist was also a great treat! Many times artists that tour are very hands off, but Paul Baloche, Vicky Beeching, Laura Story, Tommy Walker and many others were walking the halls and chatting with people like they were old friends (and I am sure that some were). I appreciate it when people are real and approachable like that.
- Something else about the artists that thrilled me was the fact that most of them were involved in local church ministries. They may tour some, but when they are home, they are leading worship and involved. I love that! That makes what they do on stage much more effective in my book!
- I enjoyed being able to worship with worshipers! I imagine that it was just a taste of what heaven will be like! People singing their guts out in praise to the King of Kings! No folded arms saying, “I dare you to move me!” It was awesome! There was no arguing about song selection or volume or who got to do what… no one cared, we were there to worship!
- It was also a great treat to meet many people that I know only by being connected through the web. I have met many people through facebook and Twitter, but to get to meet them in person was awesome! It was great to meet and spend time with Gary Durbin, Fred McKinnon, John Saddington, Rich Kirkpatrick, Kim Bontrager, Ben Abu Saada, Wisdom Moon, Jonathan Riggs, Jim Drake, Chris Gambill, Nick Arbuckle and many others.
I would encourage those who are on the fence about attending this conference that it is well worth the money to attend. It will recharge your spirit for leading God’s people in worship! It is good to connect with other worship leaders and to hear their stories. Hope to see you next year!