- External Focus
- Cultural Relevance
- Priesthood of believers (every member a minister – focus on service)
- Church as an institution
- Educates and sends members out to where the people live
- People do not come to the church, the church goes to the people
- Church as a movement
The tone over the last many years has been one of being either or; being opposed to one another.
Transactional model of mission
- Pay another organization to send out missionaries
- May even have some of our people tag along for short term work
- Based and focused on the organization
In the book of Acts, we see missions done through the local church, not an external organization. Missional is the responsibility of the church itself.
- We need to move from cultural relevance to cultural embedment.
- Do we have to see church as institution and church as movement as being against each other. The can exist together in a healthy relationship.
- God’s Spirit empowers and gives life to both expressions of the church.