Last week I had the opportunity to attend the Global Leadership Summit that was simulcast from Willow Creek and their Pastor, Bill Hybles. It was two days of jam-packed leadership goodness! There was not one speaker that I heard that I did not come away with something to chew on. I have a few quotes from those two days that I will share over the next few weeks on my Quotable Tuesday quotes.
Today’s comes from Jim Collins, author of Good To Great, and How the Mighty Fall.
“Great leaders have two things in common, they know it is not about them, and they never give up.”
I loved this statement from Jim. It is good for all leaders in the church to be reminded that it is NOT about them.
- It is about Jesus, and His church.
- It is about the people that the leader is called to lead.
- It is about the mission that God has given to the church.
- Very few leaders can see that they are leading with the thought process that it is all about them. They should ask their staff and trusted friends what they think. Other people can see it in you as a leader.
Good leaders never give up.
- They are willing to take risks for the growth of the organization
- They are willing to pursue what God has placed on their hearts, no matter the cost.
- They are not afraid of so-called “powerful” people in the church. They remember that God is bigger than any man.
- They will go to their death (or at least until they get fired!) to continue pursuing the vision that they believe God has for them and for their church.
Jim had some other great nuggets that I will share in the near future. You can read my notes from his talk to see more!