We spent last night and most of today back in Grand Rapids at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital with Josiah. He had a Neuro-Psychological evaluation to see how he has progressed since he was released. He got started at 8AM and was actually finished early because he did so well on the testing. According to the doctor, he scored in the top 10-15% of patients that he has seen and is healing much quicker than most that have had his type of injury.
Here are a few of the things we learned today:
- Josiah does not have any memory issues.
- He also does not have any significant issues with concentration. He is not longer easily distracted, which is something that is necessary for him to go back to school.
- His main issues are: processing speed, doing more than one thing at a time and doing complex things like taking carburetors apart (which is not anything he has ever done anyways).
- For the most part, everything that needs to heal on Josiah now is dependent upon time passing so the body can heal itself. There are a few things that he has to work hard on as well, but time is the biggest healer at this point.
- The doctor pretty much cleared him to start being integrated back into the school system. He also said that it would be best for him to get fully back into school before going back to work and that he should not drive for at least another 6-8 weeks. Those last two are not issues with us at all since we think he should get his schooling caught up and that he should not be driving for another 10 years or so.
- Overall, this was just another great report for Josiah. We visited with some families that we had met while staying at the hospital. They are still there and still waiting for their children to get well enough to go home. Some of them have waited for months and will have another two weeks and then months of outpatient rehab to go through. We are humbled at God’s favor on our son in his healing.
We still have some things that we are need of prayer for. Yes, they are suppose to heal in time, but we are still asking God for the following:
- Pray that Josiah’s nerve damage on the right side of his face will heal soon. The doctors say we should see improvement in the next 6-8 weeks.
- Pray that Josiah will be able to catch up in all of his school work and graduate this Spring. This will be a great accomplishment for him after all he has been through.
- Pray that he will be able to return to work as well. There is no time table for us on this, but I know he would like to be able to be working again just to do something normal.
- Pray that he has patience through all of this. He does get frustrated at things that he knows he should be able to do, but yet it just comes a little slow for him right now. I am proud of how he has handled himself to this point. He has shown spiritual and emotional strength through all of this.
- Pray that we are able to leave lasting impact in the lives of those we meet through all of this and that they see the love of Jesus in our lives.
Psalm 18:6, 31-32 “I was in terrible trouble when I called out to you, but from your temple you heard me and answered my prayer. You alone are God! Only you are a mighty rock. You give me strength and guide me right.”