Here is an update on Josiah as of Wednesday, January 5 at 9:00 PM:
Since I am at home and Jennifer is with Josiah in Grand Rapids, I had her email me a report for the day. Here is what she sent:
Today was a normal morning for Josiah, other than the fact that they asked him if he wanted them to take it easy on him (since it is his last full day there) or kick his rear. Being mom, I replied to kick his rear at the same time he asked them to take it easy! He got his therapies in though, and did a wonderful job! He is such a hard worker!
Here are a few other highlights from the day:
- Each therapist did a lot of picture taking today. I didn’t know why and thought it was a waste of time until I found out they send the pictures with him so he knows what exercises to work on. Pretty good thinking!
- He got his scores from his speech therapist and across the board was average to above average for a NORMAL 17 year old, much less a 17 year old with brain trauma! God continues to amaze us as He heals Josiah!
- The number test specifically he scored above college level. He took a test today that he had taken and scored a 66 on one of his first days here. They said he should be in the 90 to 110 and range and he was 98 so they were very pleased with that.
- He will definitely be homebound schooled with a teacher coming 2 to 3 times a week for the first 4-6 weeks. After those 4 to 6 weeks he will go for an extensive neuropsychological evaluation and they will decide then when he can go back to school. He will probably start out going half a day for a couple of weeks to month and then eventually back to full day.
- He will have therapy 3 times a week for 8 weeks (that is their recommendation) but local rehab facilities are known to cut that by as much as half.
Some specific thing that you can pray for as you remember Josiah and the family are:
- Pray for the nerves on the right side of his face to heal. He has his appointment next week at University of Michigan to meet with a specialist.
- Pray that his eyesight continues to improve. He can see out of each eye, but there is still some healing that needs to take place. The doctor says it is just a matter of time.
- Pray for Josiah as he gets back into his schooling. We would still like to see him graduate this year. He can do it!
- Pray that he will receive all the rehab he can once he gets home. I really want to see him get the full 8 weeks and more!
- Pray for safety as Jennifer, Josiah and Jaidyn travel home tomorrow.
- Pray for God to be made BIG as we continue to follow and trust in Him as He leads us in this journey!
Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”